Many people have to go through the painful ordeal of filing for and getting a divorce. Part of the process is hiring a competent separation lawyer. If you do that, half of your job is done. An ideal solicitor has the characteristics given below.
- Experience and Success: Choose a lawyer who has experience in handling family cases. Such a lawyer will have come across many situations similar to yours. Also, look into the lawyer’s success rate.
- Specialized Lawyer: As mentioned earlier, you want a solicitor who has experience with divorce cases. Do not select a solicitor who practices basic law.
- Commitment: Choose a lawyer who is committed to your case. Some lawyers are only in it for the money and are least bothered by what the client deserves or wants. Choose a lawyer who is sympathetic to your cause and dedicated to spending the maximum amount of time and effort to win your case.
- Aggressive: Although you want a sympathetic lawyer, opt for one who can be aggressive when required. An aggressive lawyer will ensure smooth and just division of the assets, custodial rights of children, etc.
- Property: Related to aggression is how well your lawyer handles the division of property. The lawyer should not just settle but go for the best possible option.
- Ethics: Hire a lawyer who will not swindle you out of your money and time. Seek somebody who will treat you honestly.
- Availability: Make sure that you choose a lawyer who is available at all times. An emergency situation, such as custodial child visits, may arise which will require immediate action.
- Compassion: This is an emotionally difficult time for the client. The lawyer should be understanding and compassionate while dealing with your case.
How to Find a Separation Lawyer
Finding a separation lawyer can be tedious as well as nerve-wracking. The following tips are useful in this regard:
- Reviews: Read reviews of different lawyers. Reviews tell you about the success rate, experience and professional conduct of lawyers. They also give you first hand comments from previous clients.
- Friends/Family: Ask friends and family for guidance, especially the ones who have undergone a divorce recently.
- Lawyer Referral Services: Such services refer you to top notch lawyers. However, keep in mind that the screening/hiring method varies. Inquire about how strict the referral service’s requirements are for their employees.
- Support Groups: Men’s and women’s support groups usually keep a portfolio of lawyers. Bilanz Hattingen